The UIRA is attempting to provide a comprehensive list of the many perks and discounts available to UI Retirees. If you know of any that are missing please send us an email. Many vendors not listed will also give a UI discount. Just ask! If you are denied a discount, please let us know so we can correct our lists.
The University of Iowa offers many perks and discounts to its retirees. See the links below for details.
- Recreational Services
- Information Technology Services
- The University of Iowa Employee Discount Program (UIEDP)
- National Car Rental Program
- University News
- Star Registry
You are able to check out library materials for the same loan period as before you retired. For further information see Services for Retired and Emeritus UI Faculty and Staff.
A membership in the University of Iowa Recreational Services is available to us as retirees, and group exercise classes at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center are also included in your membership. A membership provides access to all recreation facilities on campus, including the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center (CRWC), Field House, Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex (HTRC), Fitness East and the Recreation Building. Once inside, most activities, including swimming, fitness, rock climbing, racquetball, basketball, volleyball, and Group Exercise classes are included with the membership. Beyond access to all recreation facilities on campus, members also receive discounts on program registration (including Lesson Programs, Rowing, Tennis Programs, Aquatics and Adventure Trips), and reduced tennis court fees.
Also, a qualified UI Faculty/Staff member or UI Retiree may sponsor one adult at the same rate as the sponsoring member. The adult must reside in the same household as the sponsoring member. A yearly Membership is $310; 4 months membership is $155; monthly membership is $47 and daily drop-in fee is $7.
For current information call 319-335-9291 or 319-335-9293 or visit the Recreational Services web page. In the left navigation bar click Programs > Fitness Programs. Underneath the photo there are 6 tabs, click on Group Exercise. Scroll down to display a daily schedule of all group exercise classes. Look for the classes that begin with Senior. Click on the class name for detailed information.
University of Iowa Recreational Services
As a University of Iowa retiree, you:
- Can Keep Your Hawkmail. If your retirement occurs on or after September 1, 2011, you can choose to keep your Hawkmail account open at no-charge. As of September 1, 2011, those retirees who already had a Hawkmail account will no longer be charged the $5 monthly fee. If you retired prior to September 1, 2011, Information Technology Services is not offering this service. See the last two paragraphs in the section Hawkmail – Your University Email Account.
- Can continue to use your UI firstname.lastname@example.org email address even if you do not use the University Hawkmail email system. In this case you must have your UI email@example.com email address forwarded to your new non-UI email address.
- Are eligible for discounts on computer purchases through the ITS Computer Purchase Program.
- Have access to the ITC computer labs on campus and the UI Wireless network using your HawkID and password.
- Have access to a very limited site licensed and reduced-cost software packages. For details, see What software options do retirees have?
"The HawkID is your personal identification used along with your HawkID password to access most online services at the University of Iowa. It is usually made up of some combination of your first, middle and last name. For example, John F Doe might have the ID jfdoe" - from the HawkID Guide
"As a University of Iowa retiree, your HawkID will always remain active to allow you to access various services and computer and software discounts. Therefore, ITS recommends that you continue to update your HawkID password when you are notified that it will expire." - Information Technology Services for University of Iowa Retirees
If you do not know your HawkID, contact the ITS-Helpdesk@uiowa.edu (319) 384-HELP (4357) or click Look Up Your HawkID.
"The University of Iowa Employee Discount Program (UIEDP) is a program maintained by Organizational Effectiveness, a unit of Human Resources, in conjunction with community businesses, offering discounts or other incentives to University of Iowa employees."
The University of Iowa Discount Program lists hundreds of discounts available with your UI picture ID.
UI Retirees and their spouses are eligible to take advantage of the discounts offered by the Big Ten National Car Rental Program which now includes both National and Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
You can continue to keep current on what's happening at The University by self-subscribing to the FYI-News and the UI News Digest.
How to subscribe to the FYI-News.
To subscribe or unsubscribe to the UI News Digest, visit list.uiowa.edu/archives/ui-news.html. Click the link "Join or leave the list (or change settings)" and follow the instructions.
The STAR Registry is a database of Iowans over age 50 who are interested in volunteering for University of Iowa research studies (compensation is generally provided). Older adults are typically under-represented in scientific research, making study results less helpful to the older population. Read more and sign up at www.centeronaging.uiowa.edu/star.shtml.