UIRA President Nancy Hauserman announced two great things about the UIRA scholarship.  First, our scholarship is fully endowed.  Thanks to a very generous gift of over $20,000 we now have $50,000+ in our scholarship fund, which will now generate enough interest to insure at least a $1,000 scholarship each year.  Of course, as we raise more money going forward, we can increase the annual amount of the scholarship.  The second great thing is that our scholarship will be awarded for the 2017-18 academic year!  Our first recipient is Emily Hestbech, a global health studies major with a certificate in sustainability.  She is a currently a sophomore and while she is not certain about her future plans, she is considering going to graduate school in public health.  She is a member of Sigma Lambda Gamma sorority, which is a multicultural sorority that was founded at the University of Iowa.  She has participated in Dance Marathon for two years and works at the university library in the Inter-library Loan Department. You will have a chance to meet Emily at the Annual Meeting in April.  She will join us for lunch!

And as some of you might have noticed in a recent Press-Citizen article, our scholarship takes on increased importance since some 2,500 students will be affected by scholarship cuts next year as the University seeks to save $4 million.  The Press-Citizen also included an article about the debt load of University of Iowa undergraduate students.  The article noted that 44% of the University’s undergraduates graduated last year with no debt.  The remaining 56% graduated with an average debt load of $27,415.  It’s nice to know that UIRA has now done something that will help reduce the debt of at least one University of Iowa undergraduate each year.

Use this direct link to make your donation to the UIRA Scholarship today!